Week 9: 20th February

Well a few threads came together this week. It’s always the way when you are trying to keep daily transport going and fix up other bikes.

First up is the Atlas. We managed five days commuting but on the Thursday it looked like a VFR day was upon us as the sprag started to slip once again. Fortunately however it managed to start on Friday so we did the complete week. Investigation showed no damage to any part of the sprag so I reassembled using the Australian springs. These springs are shorter but they hold the rollers firmly. I am hoping that they will prove more able.

The sprag issue is starting to become a real mental issue for me. I hate bikes that have a fundamental flaw in their design and I think for the Atlas the sprag is a fundamental flaw – maybe however thinking about it the sprag is okay is the starting which is at fault – a fault that found its way onto the Zane derivatives. Most Atlas owners moan about poor starting and of course the more it won’t start the more you pressure the sprag…I had a good spark from the HT leads so I looked at the plug caps and these seem to wobble a bit but my local shop didn’t have replacements. I checked out their resistance to see if the plugs were breaking down and I’m assured readings of 5.16 and 5.6 are within tolerances. I’m thinking that the real issue here is the carb’ and so next step will be a set of new jets and float along with a thorough clean.

I had another task with the Atlas this weekend which was to check out a shortened shock for a friend. The Hagon shock was modified to lower the ride height but when fitted didn’t return properly. Hagon admitted there was stiction so having sorted this I agreed to check it before sending it off to Germany. Hagon have sorted the problem and I must say the result does lower the bike significantly – a good solution for a lot of the owners I know who are short, even at 5,10 I struggle to clamber aboard!

Having dismantled the suspension I found a failed bearing in the cush drive so Monday will necessitate a VFR day while Mrs A goes off to the bearing shop…This is not the first time I have had this problem and I suspect I have a faulty spacer which I can see has turned and developed a ‘step’. I may get Mrs A to visit the local engineering firm to get a replacement turned up. The other thing that surprised me was that the rear sprocket is definately showing signs of wear…

Aside from the ongoing Atlas saga progress was made on the 100 with the delivery of fresh valves! Dropped off the old ones on Sunday and there were a new set on Friday. The valves have been turned out of something ‘close’ but they look fine and mean I now have the potential to get the 100 going again.

No progress on the RGS which is sitting with its fork internals spread across the garage floor…

The VFR needs its annual roadworthiness test and has a border line rear tyre so perhaps a couple of days to shoot this tyre and buy some breathing space might be a good thing.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s