A week of activity which has been about moving projects forward rather than getting them done. Went back to see the fork bush man and discussed the correct sizes. In discussion with him I finally understand how the fork bushes work. They are both the same length but the top bush sits in the top of the fork slider. All the wear on this bush occurs on the inside of the bush. The correct measurement is 30.85mm OD and 27mm ID. The botton bush wears on its outer side and sits on the lower park of the stanchion which is stepped. The dimensions for the bottom bush is therefore 30mm OD and 26mm ID. So these are being worked on plus the sprockets.
I left the bush man with the 14 and 45 tooth 420 sprockets. At the same time I have posted the 13 and 47 set over to Nametab Engineering. My hope is that the bush man does the job but if he doesn’t then Nametab is my fall back position. I figure it is easier to hassle the guy who lives down the road than the guy on the end of the phone. We’ll see.
To get the second engine sprocket off I had to take the magdyno case off the 100 engine. Lucky it all came apart easily so fingers crossed it will similarly go back easily.
Took measurements off the piston rings and sent them to an ebay contact in Italy. I think the compression rings are supposed to be 2mm thick and the oil scrapers 3mm. Fingers crossed that I can get spares but replacement rings are not critical in the way sprockets and lapping in the valves is.
Had to work on the RGS back light. I went to check it out and found the original back light lens was missing – damn all that rain made the insulation tape bodge fail…So although I had the LED making it legal I decided to see if I could fit the Honda CB450 unit I got at Stafford for a tenner. Aside from the wiring I had to bend the mounting brackets to accommodate the fixing bolts which are ever so slightly closer together.
It all worked a treat and the back light seems brighter now the light isn’t going through both the LED cover and external cover. The light looks very similar to the original Laverda (CEV) unit but it is a bit bigger which will mean the seat cowl won’t fit. Also to the trained eye the light is bigger and less elegant. Aside from this I gave the RGS screen a polish up and put the ‘Welsh National Rally’ sticker on it to honour the most recent achievement.
Presents have been flying in from all areas – front and back wheel off a slabby Suzuki GSXR, Brembo four pots off a Ducati 900SS now sit alongside the sprag recently acquired for the Atlas off a Duacti 600 Monster.
Finally managed to get some time to drain the oil out of the Atlas ready for a fuller inspection in the coming week. I think I will send the carb off to Dellorto for cleaning and see if I can bodge the mainshaft to last the summer, if I can get the sprag to work. I say finally but it was finally because in between all the Laverda work I started to put new chain and sprockets on the VFR…All go but if I can keep this work pipeline going who knows we could be another Laverda up before too long.