W/E 19th May

IMG_6577

Well the thrill of having the RGS back continued until Wednesday when the bolt holding the fairing to the headstock broke. Thought it was going to be my first full week back commuting on a Laverda but it wasn’t to be. Had a look at this and whilst it’s happened before I was a bit surprised. I suspect it happened because I had the bolt facing the headstock which meant the shank wasn’t taking the load. Might not be the reason it broke but second time round I have put it in with the shank taking the load. I got a new bolt from the local KTM shop who also supplied a metric fine, lock nut off a KTM gearbox sprocket. The lock nut fitted a treat as it fitted inside the silent bloc bush like it was made specifically for the job.

IMG_6583

Took the time to change the oil and adjust the rear chain – the chain is non- o ring and I suspect it won’t be with the RGS for much longer. I’m only keeping it so use up the old sprockets…Current mileage is 183,192 kms.

In addition to this I won a set of Suzuki slabby wheels and cush off ebay. I’ve been inspired by Richard Jones RGS and decided this upgrade is something to incorporate at some date in the future…no doubt a long time in the future….

All was going well until Sunday night when I lost the damned petrol cap key so it’s back on the VFR…

IMG_6579

Started work on the Turismo – have a month before the National Rally and it is down on power and blowing oil. Getting the engine out of the frame and dropping the forks out took a couple of hours. I then loaded up the car and headed down to see Dean in the New Forest to get his opinions. Dean thinks the rings are worn as they hang on the piston. The bore looked good and has .02mm of wear which we think is okay. The main reason for poor performance however is probably the valves, specifically the exhaust valve that wasn’t seated properly. Interestingly the inlet seemed okay but the end showed signs of being hammered and will need dressing to pull though the valve guide.

IMG_6588

We also looked at the forks and the new bushes I am having made up in nylon. I hadn’t bothered with measurements – just gave the machine shop some old bushes…Anyways now know I need to get two different sizes made 26 and 27 ID both with 30mm OD. This should be simple enough to arrange but cleaning up the headstock bearings might be more tricky.

The other interesting part of visiting Dean was to check up on how he is progressing with the rebuild of his 100 Sport – with a month to go he has a few jobs of his own!

IMG_6593

Dean also has the majority of a 75cc Laverda. It was interesting to see how many bits off this engine will fit straight into a 100 – spare three speed gearbox and clutch…even the cylinder head apppears to have the same size valves and aside from the stroke the crank looks like it’ll fit.

IMG_6591

Finally I’ve ordered 420 sprockets 13/14 and 45/47 sizes to replace the originals. I’ve gone for 420 as a more common chain size and been given the name of a company who can machine them onto the original centres. I need to get onto this because this job may have to go into a queue and although I have a month that’ll soon disappear.

Made minor progress on the Atlas when I took delivery of my Ducati sprag clutch – hopefully this’ll fit. Next weekend I will hopefully be able to put some hours in on the Atlas as this also needs to be fixed in a month.

Ohhh it’s all getting a bit hectic

 

Nick 🙂

 

 

 

Fork bushes 26 ID and 27 ID – 30 OD

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s