Well almost there with installing the new engine. Problem really is that I don’t need the bike for work next week so I’ve been a bit lazy with it all.
The problem I’d been left with last week was a stubborn allen bolt holding the cam cover. The Duck Oil came through and a new bit for my impact driver had the issue resolved. A look under the cam cover showed everything in order and so we were good to go.
Before loading the engine in the frame I removed the clutch actuating spindle designed for a cable clutch and put in the pushrod from my engine along with the tin plate to the front of the sprocket. The hydraulic cylinder requires a cutaway tin plate.
While I was in the sprocket area I put on the sprocket from the old engine. The main shaft has no wear but I noticed the 530 sprocket is about a millimetre too thin and the sprocket rocks on the shaft. I will look for a spacer to pack this out as the rocking eventually enlarges the locking washer groove.
The engine crane came in very handy and with help from Mrs A the unit was installed. It was then a matter of refitting the oil coolers, oil filter, carb. I also had to find the settings for the Sachse ignition – kindly supplied via the Laverdaforum.
So not much left – have to sort out the exhaust as it is seized together and I will have difficulty refitting if I can’t part the front pipe from the collector. On the subject of the exhaust I also have to remove the studs out the front of the head. Finally now I have the settings it ought to be simple to time it and then hit the ‘go’ button…