W/E 19th July 2015

First and the last (almost)

First and the last (almost)

Spent a happy Sunday afternoon getting the Turismo back to running order.

Last time I ran the Turismo was on the National Rally and the 540 mile Special Gold. Last time out the bike was jumping out of second gear because I’d not set the change mechanism properly. The other legacy was a blowing exhaust and I had a new gasket already lined up. Fancied something different from the Atlas so got the spanners out.

Didn’t take much to put the exhaust system back on and fiddled with the gearbox to try and get it to engage all three gears. I think I got it fixed but didn’t have time to give it a road test.

Turismo gearbox selector 'box'

Turismo gearbox selector ‘box’

The bike started easily with no choke and a wide open throttle then settled into an even tickover. It was nice to reacquaint myself with the little jewel and all the touches I’d added like auxillary wiring for the back brake light and the Velcro on the front forks to mount the ‘Laverda for Health’ rally plate. Great memories…

Not much to report on the Atlas. Gave it a clean and lubed up the chain. I’ve ordered up a couple of new chains in preparation for the Scottish. I plan to ride around in the interim with a non – o ring chain just to give the gearbox shaft a bit of an easier life.

Carried out consultation on the gearbox problem – didn’t hear much back so will push on assuming my idea to save the shaft will work. Just waiting for the engineer to come back with final plans before putting it into action.

All winding down for the family hols…

Nick 🙂

Advertisements

W/E 12th July 2015

Atlas #3 - almost ready

Atlas #3 – almost ready

Spent an enjoyable few hours over the weekend slowly piecing the latest Atlas together. Just took my time and made sure that it all went back as it should – or as best it could. I paid particular attention to the routing of the wires and cables up front – being able to lower the forks while the bike was on a lift with no front wheel meant I could get the runs just so.

Steering lock

Steering lock

Had to replace the headstock bearings (third Atlas to go through this in 2015) and did the normal trick of leaving the lower bearing in place and just replaced the lower headstock track. I also discovered the steering lock which I never knew existed! The top yoke where the lock locates is slightly damaged but I did manage to get two securing bolts home so hopefully it’s okay.

I like the ‘stubby’ look of the bike without the rear guard or seat 🙂 Not much left to do cosmetically but once all the cycle parts are on I shall investigate the starter which Robert told me is a bit hit and miss (so sprag or starter I guess).

Note damage to inner (engine) half of the shaft

Note damage to inner (engine) half of the shaft

I’ve also sent off my worn gearbox layshaft to see if it can be fixed or at least my serviceable layshafts can be saved from the same fate. I’d thought the sprocket wobbling on the shaft had enlarged the lock washer groove from the inside out. However looking at it what seems to happen is that the groove is enlarged from the outside in – the outer edge of the groove is fine but the inner groove and sprocket splines are where the shaft takes the beating.

The whole lot along with an old sprocket have been sent for evaluation. Current thinking is that a bespoke engine sprocket that requires heat to get it onto the shaft is a must. This will go a long way to preventing the rocking. The ‘fix’ though extends past this to maybe knocking up a spacer to sit behind the sprocket to resist the rocking. A larger bore engine seal needs to be sourced to accommodate the spacer but it might work – more to follow.

Slack fit

Slack fit

I also got my rear calipher back which I was hoping would have a tight pin to solve the problem encountered a while back where the pin went awol and the pads dropped in to the back wheel. All I got back was a nut and bolt solution which while it might work will just lead to the hole being whittled ever bigger as the bolt rattles in the hole. I will go looking for a clevis pin which perhaps can be turned down – or if the layshaft repair is good send it to that engineer.

Nick 🙂

PS Wrote up my National Rally adventure in the Trips section of the site.

W/E 5th July 2015

National Rally

National Rally

Completed the National Rally over the weekend – must’ve clocked up near on 900 miles in all with very little mechanical trouble.

Here’s a shot at the Welshpool checkpoint were I bumped into Paul and his beautiful ’77 Jota.

Roll on the Scottish…

Nick 🙂