So no big advances this week just routine maintenance to keep the Atlas on the road. Decided to fit the new sub-frame only to find that the frame fitted to a Series 1 or 2 is different to the third series – grrrrrr! So with no local Laverda dealer and it being Sunday I had to repair the old unit. I don’t have a welder so I cut down an M8 bolt to act as a splint and araldited inside the hollow tube. Fingers crossed but thinking about it even if it cracks again the bolts will hold it in place. Job done!
Having the rear apart gave me a good chance to look into the rear seat fixture which seemed not quite right. The problem is that the thread in the frame on the near side isn’t present as it is on the off side. A couple of bolts later and that’s fixed.
I noticed that the silencer took a hit when the bike fell over a few weeks ago – the sidepanel put a crease in it – suppose this type of ‘ding’ is inevitable and just down to riding the bike.
I examined the ignition box and found one of the wires coming loose – easy fix with a mini-screwdriver. Put in half a litre of oil which after 1,000 miles is okay.
Fitted the recovered seat – it’s too light a red and the stitching ruins the line but it has no splits, cost me nothing in the end and won’t give me a wet arse when it rains.
Finally another turn on the chain adjuster – the non o ring chain is almost finished but with just two weeks to Christmas that can wait.
Started the bike and let it warm through so it could tick over…sweet.