W/E 22nd September 2019



Got the replacement engine plumbed and ready to start. You can see I’d decided to run the Mk 3 exhaust setup and the alloy carb’ manifolds. Pressing start rewarded me with a distinct ‘clack’ which sounds like the valves. Last time I’d ridden this engine it sounded okay but felt rough…so in the three years or so that’s it’s been sat unloved it decided to really develop an engine problem! Time to shut up shop and prepare the Honda for the Scottish Rally 😦


The original engine had spent a week under a tarp’ while I went up to Scotland. On my return it was time to start cleaning it down in preparation for drilling out the errant cam bolt sometime in the coming week. You can see from this picture that the exhaust studs came out when the exhaust was pulled – time to start drawing up a shopping list especially with Brexit imminent and the potential problems that’ll cause shopping in Europe.


Christmas comes early…

However a consignment of spares found its way to the garage. First off the final custom sprocket arrived along with 48 oversize, hardened rollers for the sprags. I also got offered a great deal on a secondhand shock, front brake pipe, speedo cable, ignition and a complete set of new clutch plates, cam chain and chain tensioner blade.

Next week sees me with time to crack on and open the engine and start to fight my way back to having a working Atlas…

Nick 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s